Bail Bonds Snellville, GA
Call (770) 995-2599 Now!
We provide bail bonds to all of Snellville, GA in Gwinnett County. If you are looking to for immediate release from experienced bail bondsman then call us now.
Snellville’s convenient Gwinnett County location, approximately 18 miles east of Atlanta and 45 miles west of Athensat the intersection of U.S. Highway 78 and Georgia Highway 124, has allowed it to prosper. Snellville’s roots extend to 19th century London. To learn more, click on the “History of Snellville” link below.
Snellville’s convenient location, approximately 18 miles east of Atlanta and 45 miles west of Athens at the intersection of U.S. Highway 78 and Georgia Highway 124, has allowed it to prosper and become one of Gwinnett County’s fastest growing cities for the past thirty years. Snellville’s roots extend much deeper than thirty years, however, to 19th century London.
The birth of Snellville can be traced to 1874 London, England when a secret voyage to the New World was a glimmer in the minds of two teenage friends, James Sawyer and Thomas Snell. Unfortunately, their plans were altered when Snell’s parents wouldn’t allow him to make the trip when they learned of the plan. Instead, Sawyer and his brother, Charles, took off on the adventure, leaving England for the United States on March 18, 1874. After a two-week voyage, the Sawyer brothers arrived in New York on April 1st, where they stayed for a few weeks. They left New York and eventually settled in Madison County, Georgia, where they worked on a farm for $10.00 a month. Thomas Snell was finally able to make the trip and met his friends in Georgia where they all traveled through Jefferson and Lawrenceville. Charles Sawyer left his brother and friend in Georgia and in time settled in Alabama, where he entered the turpentine business. While Snell worked on the farm of A.A. Dyer, James Sawyer traveled back to New York and then to London, to claim his inheritance shortly after his 21st birthday in 1878. James Sawyer eventually returned to the United States and after traveling through parts of Georgia, was reacquainted with his friend Thomas Snell after settling in a small farming community named New London, now called Snellville. Prior to that time, the area where Snellville now rests was an old growth chestnut-oak-hickory forest settled by the Cherokee Indians.
The two friends built a small wood frame building and started a business together – Snell and Sawyer’s Store – and commerce was born in Snellville. Until that time, local farmers had to travel to neighboring towns in order to purchase anything they could not make themselves or borrow from neighbors. Snell and Sawyer printed store money with the trade value and Snell’s likeness on the front that their regular customers could exchange for goods, a common practice in small mill towns of the time. In just a short time, the business was prosperous and attracting customers from the neighboring towns of Lawrenceville and Loganville. These travelers who purchased supplies at Snell and Sawyer’s would often spend the night under the nearby oak groves, as the round trip was too long for one day’s travel. While it is uncertain when the town officially changed from New London to Snellville, Snell and Sawyer’s advertising identified their location as Snellville. As Snellville’s commerce continued to prosper, its religious community began to grow. Several churches were started during this time, including Snellville Methodist Church and First Baptist Church in the heart of downtown. Other churches opened in the outskirts of Snellville also during this time, including Mt. Zion Baptist Church and Raymond Hill Baptist Church. All of these churches are still in existence today with their original structures. Snell and Sawyer’s partnership ultimately dissolved and the two each opened their own stores. Sawyer retained the original building that housed Snell and Sawyer’s and built a granite structure around and above the original wooden frame,
eventually disassembling the wooden frame from within. Sawyer opened Snellville’s first post office in 1885 from the back of his store, where he served as the Postmaster. Snell built a new store, also of granite. While neither store exists in present-day Snellville, many buildings throughout the city have also been constructed of granite, offering a glimpse into the past. Snell died in 1896 from complications following surgery for appendicitis, at the young age of 39. He was buried on Brownlee Mountain, known today as Nob Hill. His grave was later moved to nearby Lithonia. Sawyer operated his store until the 1940’s, when he was forced into retirement due to blindness. After his retirement, the store was owned and operated by various merchants until it was destroyed in 1960 and a service station built in its place. Sawyer died in 1948 at the age of 91 and is buried in the Baptist Cemetery, now known as the Snellville Historical Cemetery. Snellville’s growth in its early days was slow since it was not located on any navigable water body and it was bypassed by the railroads. However, the city did incorporate on August 20, 1923 when it received its charter from the General Assembly of the State of Georgia. Snellville’s first mayor was Gladston Snell. After receiving its charter, Snellville’s city limits were enlarged to a one-mile radius from the center of town. Snellville’s growth remained slow until the 1960’s when the suburban development patterns of segregated uses and automobile dependency became commonplace. Present-day Snellville is quite a different place from the settlement that attracted James Sawyer and Thomas Snell. According to the 2000 Census, Snellville’s population is 15,351 and includes 5,391 households. Over 1,150 businesses operate in Snellville, bringing in more than $1 billion in revenue yearly. Snellville’s political system now includes a Mayor and 5 Council members. There are over 100 employees working for the City of Snellville, which operates from five departments: Administration; Parks & Recreation; Planning & Development; Public Safety; and Public Works. The city limits have now grown to 10.4 square miles and there are fourteen houses of worship located in the city limits.Snellville’s continued prosperity stems from the southern hospitality of its residents and the versatility of its surroundings. With a variety of shops, restaurants, schools, churches, a hospital, cultural events, recreational activities, and an abundance of nearby attractions, Snellville’s residents and visitors can fulfill their entertainment and family needs close to home. From a small farming community to the prospering present-day community, Snellville continues to be one of the most successful cities in the Atlanta region.